Luckily the Irish leprechaun Mr O'Reilly is also an expert on Japan ...
the book you need is "Understanding Japanese Information Processing",
by Ken Lunde, in the O'Reilly nutshell series.
ISBN 1-56592-043-0
I've not actually done Japanese processing, got this info from
my brother in Japan.
Basically its multibyte unicodes, and its all standardised,
i.e. there are plenty of different standards to choose from 8-)
I think RedHat comes with howto's for other languages, but have not read them.
In japan, JDOS & Windows-J are common I gather.
good luck,
brian
At 06:43 PM 18/01/00 +1100, Adam Kennedy wrote:
>Hi sluggers
>
>I'm looking for a way of doing a database for the international market, the
>focus being Japan, but to include other countries.
>For now I'm focusing on English and Japanese.
>
>What I would like to know is how I would go about using MySQL PostGres etc
>in such a way that it can hold English and Japanese data at the same time. I
>gather it would be some sort of unicode? Is it even possible?
>
>How does one deal with languages with characters outside the Latin
>characterset, or rather how do you get multiple character sets inside the
>same table....?
>
>Sorry it's a little off topic, but nobody can give me a straight answer and
>I'm getting desperate...
>
>Thanks
>
>Adam
----------------------------------------------
Brian Martin, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Future Software Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.
--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text