Jeff Waugh wrote:
> 
> Quick question,
> 
> What's the difference between source RPMS and normal RPMS, apart
> from the obvious (being binary vs. source)?

That's the difference.

> If I installed any given software with it's SRPM, does that add it
> to the RPM database as *package* installed?

No, because the binary hasn't been installed.  When you install the
SRPM, the source files, etc, get copied to /usr/src/redhat, and that's
about it.

You need to install the binary RPM if you want to run the package.

You can build the binary RPM from the SRPM by saying rpm --rebuild file.src.rpm

> Say I decided to upgrade that package later, could I download the
> RPM and do a rpm blah.rpm -Uvh and everything would be cool?

That would upgrade the binary not the source.

> I guess more importantly to my question, if I needed to install
> some software that relied on the presence of the first installed
> (and of course compiled) SRPM, would it be happy knowing that it's
> there?

?? I'm not sure of any software that relies on the presence of the
SRPM.

> Having SRPMS update the RPM db and do the additional useful stuff
> would make sense to me...

No.

> Surely they're not just a pseudo-swanky
> way to distribute your average (some might argue)
> extra-functionality-less tar.gz?

Yes, they are.  More functionality than a tar.gz but essentially
the same concept.  You still have to compile either.

----+------------------------+--------------------------
Del | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | Christchurch, New Zealand
----+------------------------+--------------------------
--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text

Reply via email to