There was some discussion regarding this a few weeks ago...I got curious
for the facts so here they are:

> Dear Australian Customs Service,
 >
 > I have a query regarding Australia's policy on the importation of
software
 > from overseas, in particular, so-called 'pirated' software that is
readily
 > available in neighbouring Asian countries. I am interested in
determining
 > the penalties for:
 >
 > a. Casual importation - for example a backpacker returning home with
a
 > dozen or so Video Compact Discs (VCDs) for personal use.
 >
 > b. Large scale importation - high quantities brought in for obvious
 > on-selling.

 I would like to apologise for the delay in answering your question.

 For casual private importations where you only have one copy of the
disk for
 personal use we would  generally take no action.

 For commercial importations they would be liable to seizure, and
perhaps
 prosecution.

 Charlie Franklin
 Australian Customs
 Hobart

--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text

Reply via email to