Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> 
> On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Matthew Dalton wrote:
> 
> > Well, to me it would be reasonable for them to just say "You can have
> > 13k/sec upstream bandwidth. Do what you like with it." 
>
> However by doing that they would degrade the downstream performance.
> Upstream bandwidth is a factor in your experience:  latency increases with
> lower speeds, online games will slow down etc etc

But didn't someone already say that they get suspicious if your upstream
bandwidth increases over a certain level? From your statement above,
Optus must be getting suspicios of every Quake player on the O@H
network.

 
> > Of course, enforcing the allocated upstream bandwith may be difficult.
> > I'm sure there are ways to monitor such a thing and issue
> > warnings/cancel accounts where appropriate though.
> 
> You can't tell me they're not already monitoring how much every user is
> using?  I'm sure they are!  It wouldn't be hard to attach alarms to such
> monitoring which automagically email the user asking them to reduce their
> usage.  After a pre-determined period it emails a support person who can
> check it out and decide whether to terminate the account.

I'm not saying that they're not already doing it -- I agree, they
probably are.

Matthew
--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text

Reply via email to