Roland Turner wrote:
> message somewhere. In the extreme case, the web browser pops up a
> dialogue saying "Document contains no data". Perhaps the designers of
> PHP, bearing the special needs of beginners in mind, took inspiration

This may help you Roland. I'd sorted out a similar "document contains no data"
problem with Linux/Apache/Php3 and found it completely went away with a compliation
switch. I'd documented it; so here goes:

We experienced webpage crashes on php3 pages that used the eregi
family of functions. This was found to be related to php's regular expression
handling. It was fixed by changing the Php compilation script to use this switch
   "--with-system-regex"

Reference: http://www.php.net/distributions/bigmanual.html

This is the section where we built php3 :
-------Snip-----------
        ./configure --with-apxs=$instdir/bin/apxs \
                                 --with-mysql=$instdir  \
                                 --with-config-file-path=$instdir/config \
                                 --prefix=$instdir \
                                 --enable-track-vars \
----------------------

Adding a "--with-system-regex" to the above switch worked like a charm.

>From http://www.php.net/distributions/bigmanual.html :
-------Snip-----------

   --with-system-regex

Uses the system's regular expression library rather than the bundled one. If you are
building PHP as a server module,
you must use the same library when building PHP as when linking the server. Enable
this if the system's library provides
special features you need. It is recommended that you use the bundled library if
possible.
----------------------

Now this is my session running apache under gdb.
It makes me look more sophisticated than I am.
It did tell me that the libphp3.so library was at fault.
(gdb) run -X
Starting program: /opt/ce/websvr3.in.ce.com.au/support/bin/httpd -X

0x4035d3f7 in ?? () from /opt/ce/websvr3.in.ce.com.au/support/libexec/libphp3.so
^^^^^Here's when I access one of those pages

(gdb) backtrace
#0  0x4035d3f7 in ?? () from /opt/ce/websvr3.in.ce.com.au/support/libexec/libphp3.so
#1  0xffffffff in ?? ()
Cannot access memory at address 0xffffffff.

--
Sonam Chauhan
Electronic Commerce