> Sorry I meant to say, Since you remove your taskbar, you dont have a
> clocks and other applets, are you okay with not having a clock
> anywhere or do you get the time from another program ?

As Cantanker would say, "Use your f*%&#ing prompt!"

I, however, still like a bit of clock applet action. Another idea is to run
xclock (choosing appropriate colours with X resources) without window
decorations, and stick it in an unobtrusive corner of your desktop.

That won't help you if you have to look at analogue clocks sideways to tell
the time, like me. Okay, you can quit your giggling.

> I'm really suprised it's so tough to remove that taskbar ! Isn't it
> actually known as a gnome-panel ? Can't this be found in an xinitrc
> file ? I think i remember using gnome-panel to create a panel
> when I was playing around with my own xinit files

Okay, hold on... Are you trying to remove the panel, or the 'task bar'?
GNOME calls it the dockapp or something similar, but decidedly non-Bill. If
you want to remove the, um, thing that tells you what's running in iconic
button format (you can tell I don't use it, no?), right click the arrow on
the left or right side. That will give you the standard applet control menu.

For a panel, right clicking will give you the standard panel control menu.

If you don't want any panels ever again (ie. after you log in at a later
date, assuming you ever log out), run:

  save-session --gui

and you won't have to do it again.

- Jeff