> other than for images, what use is such a small view of a document?
> (and what do you do for, eg: sound files?)

Might leave that one for Conrad. :) Perhaps a sample as you move your mouse
across? Now *that* would be innovation!

> for complicated formats (eg: word doc or
> postscript) generating thumbnails has to hurt.

Yuk. Take me to the preferences!

> i question whether the thumbnails add anything, beyond making all your
> text files look the same (from any practical distance)

For images, thumbnails are a killer feature. Working with graphics so often,
I've tried many different thumbnailing programs, but nothing could beat
thumbnailing the files in place - it would seriously rock to have this
*everywhere*.

I'm fascinated by EFM's use of thumbnails... specifically fonts. Not sure
who thought of that, but I hope they're coming to linux.conf.au -> I have to
buy them a beer just for the idea.

> (nautilus isn't very conservative of screen space, is it.. useless,
> huge (tho nicely shaded) panel on the left.

Supposedly those tabs do something useful. It does look like waste to me...

Again, look at EFM (okay, okay, here's a link:
http://mandrake.net/images/may31.2000.jpg - it's a Mandrake screenshot, and
he has no respect for people with modems or less than four monitors, so
beware the download). EFM has windows and icons. Windows, and icons. Oh, and
pretty pictures, but you knew that.

> hopefully you can "zoom" out the icons to a manageable size,
> but still keep the text readable? who designed this thing anyway and
> why do we like it so much anyway? the screen shots don't seem to show
> off anything particularly new or unique (or even useful))

I've heard the treeview and icon list screenshots were forgotten...
Hopefully they will show off a bit more usability than pop.

- Jeff