Thanks for the help guys.... but let me repeat.. I don't want to use
stable or potato.. I want to continue to use slink and slink packages
until I can be around for this systems upgrade to potato so that when
things break I am in the same room.

And with potato going to stable, nothing will solve my problem. Wonder if
anyone else is annoyed with this problem.

I once adored how great debian is, but after the last 2 hours... of poking
around, I have to say, I am saddened by the fact that this simple little
thing is not working.

time for sleep... its been a long long long day...

If you do happen to figure out a way to solve my problem, cool.. email
me.. I might be actually impressed... and btw.. 2.2 r0 cd's are just a
joke...