John Wiltshire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> This is where you have to ask if you are putting your own views ahead of
> user requirements.  If a user (not an admin) sees Exchange and likes it then
> trying to tell them that they are wrong because you know better than they do
> is pure intellectual arrogance.  Users ask for things.  Programmers and
> admins should cater to their needs - after all that is what we are here for.

yes but not like that.  Users shouldn't be allowed to ask for a
specific thing like Exchange.  They should describe what they want
to achieve and let the IT people design and implement the best solution.

Your "intellectual arrogance" bit is completely wrong.  Do you call
your doctor intellectually arrogant when she refuses to prescribe
you drug X and instead gives you a packet of cough lollies?
Of course not (hopefully!) because you're paying for/obtaining
their advice and services because they're an expert in that
field and you aren't.

Dave.
(there I've finally changed the bloody subject line!)