Hold on, mail in which direction, do you want to alter the outgoing or
incoming mail?

In most simple setups, /usr/sbin/sendmail takes messages on stdin and
delivers directly to the remote relay. This doesn't require a daemon
listening on port 25 (sendmail, anyway, postfix is different).

So you can shut down sendmail, and still have outgoing mail, while incoming
mail is handled by whatever listens on port 25. Is this what you want? Some
programs (mutt...) expect a /usr/sbin/sendmail (sometime /usr/lib/sendmail),
so it's unwise to uninstall the local mail handler.

--
Cantanker /