On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 04:33:42PM +1000, John Wiltshire wrote:
> Personally I prefer an IDE because I believe the whole is greater than the
> some of the parts.  Unfortunately I haven't found any tools for Linux C++
> development that really rival the individual tools method.

Ah.  Maybe it's the old dog, new tricks, scenario, maybe not.
I've been programming for twenty years or so, most of that has
been editors and command line tools of various sorts.  The
closest I've come to an IDE that I haven't felt restrictive was
XEmacs.  I actually use that quite a bit, when I'm in that kind
of groove, but when I'm not, or I can't (because I'm in Windows
for some reason), I fall back to vim/gvim and command-line
tools.

Every so often, I find myself compelled to use MS VC++ for
something, and end up using it to do what it has to (resource
editing and so-on), and editing the source with vim behind its
back.  And hating that I can't use RCS/CVS as easily as I could
with Emacs, or that I can't use a tree of makefiles to build
complicated projects, or can't get it to parse grep output,
or...

> KDevelop is
> looking promising and I've yet to try Metrowerks Codewarrior stuff (though
> the CW stuff is great for Mac programming).

So what extra _do_ you get from that sort of environment?  And
how do you even get to the level of "integration" and power that
is available with emacs and Unix?

--
Andrew