Sluggers,

I have no idea how I did this but my display just went completely
crazy with the mouse and display jumping all over the place. Then
I realised that somehow I had two X sessions going at the same time
outputting to the same screen (mouse/keybd). I started messing around
with ctrl-alt-f1/f2 etc to try and get to the login prompt from
mingetty to kill one of the sessions when it settled down and now I
have the following situation,

ctrl-alt-f3 brings up a gdm login prompt which when you login is
DISPLAY:1, ctrl-alt-f4 brings up a second gdm login which is
DISPLAY:0. ctrl-alt-f1/f2 fail to bring up the login prompt even
though mingetty lists as running on tty1 and tty2.

Where/how/why/what the f is going on here? How did I configure this?

I tried to kill one of the X sessions but init just respawned it.
If I change runlevels to 3, both X sessions die but no login prompt
comes up on the screen. (login remotely and confirm that mingetty
is running on tty1/2). Go back to init 5 and both X sessions get
started again!!!!

Is this an undocumented feature :-)

Pete