From: Gregg [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2000 9:18 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [SLUG] Is this a routing problem?

Dear all,

Just when I thought I was finally getting my tiny little mind around
this stuff...

I've setup an old 486 DX2/66 to do some as-yet-undefined task on my home
network. It's hostname is Neuro. It happily gets its IP address at boot
time using DHCP from the existing server (hostname Linuxbox). To
simplify matters, Linuxbox gives Neuro the same IP address every time.

When telnetting to Neuro from Linuxbox I get "No route to host". Ping
just sits there. However, if I go the other way (telnet (or ping)
Linuxbox from Neuro), there is no problem at all. After establishing
this connection once I can then freely telnet from Linuxbox to Neuro.
/etc/hosts on both machines have listings identifying each computer.
Another computer (hostname Laptop) has a virtually identical install of
the same distro (RH6.0) and doesn't have the problem. Any ideas what is
happening? I'd like to run Neuro without a video screen so telnetting to
it (without telnetting from it first) would be handy.

Also (while I'm at it), how do I find out the volume name of a CD-ROM
disk (or any disk for that matter?

Thanks in advance.

Gregg