On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Scott Howard wrote:

> The problem we have at the moment is that the SLUG list contains a wide
> cross-section of the IT industry. That means that when you ask a NT question,
> odds are that someone will reply with the answer in short order. Once that
> happens to you once (or once you see it happen for someone else), then next
> time you've got a question, why not post it to the list that got results
> last time?

I think the problem is that most of the people on this list can't resist
replying if they know how to help somebody in any area. It's a chance to
show off after all. :-) And as you said, there's a wide spread of
knowledge here, so just about any tech related question asked, somebody
will know something about it. Combine the knowledge and the willingness to
help of the people on this list, and you end up with a list thats an all
purpose hackers knowledge base, the Linux basis maintained just because
Linux is an interesting thing to hack at at the moment. I think the only
way to really stop this is to make sure that only Linux related posts make
it to the list in the first place, because people are likely to respond if
they see something they can help with, no matter what it's about. Thing
is, people using Linux are likely to be interested in poking around inside
computers in general, and interested in helping others do the
same. Personally I don't mind postings that aren't directly about Linux so
long as they have this curiosity about tech thing going. Though how
curious can you really get about NT? :-)