On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Doug Stalker wrote:

> I tried to do the same thing and failed - I ended up setting up DNS on
> our firewall and having the the system use that to do the lookups.
No problem with that.

> Is it possible to set up a fake named that returns the relay hosts IP
> address for every lookup?  Or would that break other applications?
You will break any other app that uses the DNS.

define(`SMARTHOST', esmtp:<smarthost.domain>)dnl
This should be all you need as sendmail passes it on to the smarthost for
delivery.  (Remember it still needs to look up smarthost.domain in the
DNS).

tom.
Consultant

AUSSEC    Phone: 61 4 1768 2202