----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Caldwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, October 28, 2000 7:33 PM
Subject: Re: [SLUG] MS goes Open Source - sort of

> > Are people interested in volunteering to help do installs?
>
> I would be prepared to volunteer in general (provided it did not clash
> with prior commitments).

As would I, on the same condition that it did not collide with any other
prior-made plans :)

> Surely the main hindrance to debian as a first introduction to linux is
> the install itself.  If we help someone with the install then
> administering the system is probably no more difficult than any other
> distribution. What do other sluggers think?

I'm also a relative Linux newbie (been using it for the last month), and I
decided to go with Debian straight off. Yes, it can be a bitch to set up,
but once you manage to do so, you find that you've learned a hell of a lot.
But I agree that we have to be realistic about what other people want. For
example, I'm a student at UNSW and also a member of Compsoc (the UNSW
Computing Society), and we provide Linux support everyday for anyone who
needs help, and we get the question about which Linux would be best for
first-time users. We also sell Linux CDs (at this point in time, Redhat 6.2
and Debian 2.1), and if people were to ask us which one would be better for
a first-time user, we would say Redhat (because of the relatively easy
install). In the end though, it is up to the user which distro he/she
decides to use, and in any case, we should be prepared.

Just my two cents worth,

Patrick