On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 12:27:55AM +1100, Conrad Parker wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 09:25:54PM +1100, Terry Collins wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend a music notator/editor.
> >
> > I want to be able to enter and edit music on the staves. and preferrably
> > print the words underneath.
[...snip...]
> Apparently LilyPond is really nice.

I've used both LilyPond and MusicTeX quite extensively. LilyPond is very
nice and relatively simply to use. It's also under active development,
so the couple of times I've wanted features that weren't there, they
were added after a month or so (without my having to ask). From what
Terry is asking, I'd recommend LilyPond as meeting his needs.

MusicTeX is a much more complicated package. You have a great deal more
control over everything, but the extra power comes at a cost -- there's
more fiddling around to do just to get a simple piece of music laid out.
On the other hand, you can get things that approach or better some
professional layouts (I redid a couple of pieces of piano music where I
wanted to change the page breaks and I preferred the typeset result to
the original).

The time commitment for using MusicTeX is large, too (not to put you
off; it's a great package, but possibly more than you want for the time
being).

Cheers,
Malcolm

--
Malcolm Tredinnick            email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CommSecure Pty Ltd

PGP signature