Heracles wrote:

> > It is like the left mouse button is being clicked very fast, repeatedly,
> > on everything the cursor passes over.

> 2. gpm may be running and this often interferes with the operation
> of some mice in X
> 3. The mouse may be faulty.

> Case 2 - add gpm -k to the beginning of the startx script.

Option 2 - gpm interference turned out to be the problem.

I would be interested to know when this "problem" started, i.e which
distros are affected.

<= RH6.0 wasnt affected, Suse6.0 wasn't, Suse6.4 is, Caldera 1.3 wasn't.

To me, this is a major problem and a fatal flaw in linux/X if it is
widespread.

   email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  www: http://www.woa.com.au