Simon Bryan wrote:

> Hi,
> I have been installing some rpm's using Webmin. When I install I get 'failed
> dependencies' even though the requested file is installed and avaialable. eg
> MySQLClient failed the dependency for /usr/bin/perl5, however it is in the
> /usr/bin directory and accessible to all users (I logged in as an ordinary user
> and typed perl5 at the command prompt). Others have done similar things?
> Is this a common occurrence with rpm's? If os is the correct response to
> ensure that the appropriate file is installed and then install with nodeps?

It is a problem with RPMs that are provided by different vendors as the
dependency that is tested is whether an RPM with a particular _name_ is
registered as being installed - not whether a particular file from that
RPM can be found.

If you can get an RPM that is built specifically for your distribution
it has the best chance of working all round.  If not, then having the
equivalent rpm installed and installing the second using --nodeps is as
good as it gets.

BTW... there is a bit of talk now about new higher level package and
dependency management utilities - ast under debian for eg.  I think
there is a urpmi or something like that as well - but that is another
story all together ;)
--
Andrew Dorrell PhD.        Research Engineer
Canon Information Systems Research Australia     Phone: 61 2 9805 2224