> > I've bought a book, which seems good, but still doesn't help me navigate
> > yet (gotta get through the book), but did include Mandrake7.1, and so I
> > have found (in the lib file) the dependencies I'm after.
> >
> > Question is - how do I copy the files from the CD - cp is the command
> > I'm presuming, but where does the file have to go to be 'found' my
> > Mandrake?
>
> Why do you want to copy it from the CD. try using
> rpm -Uvh /path/to/file/on/cdrom/xchatblahblahblah
> to install it from the CD

Hi Mick,

I think you misunderstood what I was saying, or I misunderstood what you
are suggesting.  Please remember that I am new to the Linux OS, so some
things that seem obvious to you might not be to me.

The dependencies that I want are on the CD, the program I want to
install is on my hard drive in /home/ian (I think).

I presume that the dependencies have to be on the HDD in some location
that the program knows about for it to work, for it to do its thing with
these dependencies.

Ian