hi all
firstly thanks for all the prime help it was really usefull and i have
alot to play with..

i now have 2 problems and i have know idea what caused them..

the first is.

salmona@vila:~$ startx

XFree86 Version 3.3.6 / X Window System
Release Date: January 8 2000
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is newer
        than the above date, look for a newer version before reporting
        problems.  (see http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: Linux 2.2.17pre10 i686 [ELF]
Configured drivers:
  Mach64: accelerated server for ATI Mach64 graphics adaptors (Patchlevel
1)

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Server must be running with root permissions
You should be using Xwrapper to start the server or xdm.
We strongly advise against making the server SUID root!

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
salmona@vila:~$

i have know idea.. what this means any ideas.

this and the next problem were caused i think after i did a chown -R
salmona /ghoti/*

/ghoti is not my home dir and it *shouldnt* have anything but programs
etc..

then other problem also occoured about the same time may/maynot be
related.

[salmona@:/root]$
[salmona@:/root]$ su
Password:
setgid: Operation not permitted
[salmona@:/root]$

hmm ?? any ideas this one only occours when i got the pswd right if it is
wrong i get the normal Authentication failure msg.

thanks all
alex