On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 04:49:29PM +1100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> hi all
> firstly thanks for all the prime help it was really usefull and i have
> alot to play with..
>
> i now have 2 problems and i have know idea what caused them..
>
> the first is.
>
> salmona@vila:~$ startx
>
> XFree86 Version 3.3.6 / X Window System
> (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6300)
> Release Date: January 8 2000
>         If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is newer
>         than the above date, look for a newer version before reporting
>         problems.  (see http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
> Operating System: Linux 2.2.17pre10 i686 [ELF]
> Configured drivers:
>   Mach64: accelerated server for ATI Mach64 graphics adaptors (Patchlevel
> 1)
>
> Fatal server error:
> xf86OpenConsole: Server must be running with root permissions
> You should be using Xwrapper to start the server or xdm.
> We strongly advise against making the server SUID root!
>

> When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
> the full server output, not just the last messages
>
> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
> salmona@vila:~$

Likely the XServer is trying to open some device and you don't
have permissions to do so anymore. Check that you can open up
the mouse and console devices.

> i have know idea.. what this means any ideas.
>
> this and the next problem were caused i think after i did a chown -R
> salmona /ghoti/*
>
> /ghoti is not my home dir and it *shouldnt* have anything but programs
> etc..
>
> then other problem also occoured about the same time may/maynot be
> related.
>
> [salmona@:/root]$
> [salmona@:/root]$ su
> Password:
> setgid: Operation not permitted
> [salmona@:/root]$

the manual page for setgid(2) says:

"
ERRORS
       EPERM  The  user  is  not the super-user, and gid does not
              match the effective group ID or saved  set-group-ID
              of the calling process.
"

Again this indicates some permissions problem somewhere. Check that
the groups for your username and for root actually exist in
/etc/groups would be where I would start.

Regards,
Anand

--
Linux.Conf.Au                   --              http://linux.conf.au/
17th - 20th January,            --              Alan Cox, David Miller,