\begin{[EMAIL PROTECTED]}
> i am hoping to get a new MB and cpu soon which will be cool but any
> recomendations etc..
>
> i am thinking aroung a PIII 500-800 or so hopefully..  or would an AMD be
> better. I am not looking for bleading edge so the latest stats from
> tomshardware dont really help so generally i am looking for real life
> experiences etc.

*cough* alpha *cough*

if you have the money (~$1000) and intel compatibility isn't an issue
(ie: you don't want to run windows), then alphas (alphae?) *scream*.

PCI bus, so you can use all your existing cards. heh: SDRAM is used as
a level *3* cache. go for the cheaper samsung clones, tho. not the
compaq ones. and don't just compare the MHz numbers.
 see http://www.alphapowered.com/

--
 - Gus