This one time, at band camp, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>i am thinking aroung a PIII 500-800 or so hopefully..  or would an AMD be
>better. I am not looking for bleading edge so the latest stats from
>tomshardware dont really help so generally i am looking for real life
>experiences etc.

AMD athlons are dirt cheap now, you could get a gigahertz machine for
about $800 (guestimate price).  'course intel chips are cheapish, too
(relatively speaking of course).

That said, get an athlon with either a Asus k7v or an Abit KA7-100 mobo.
They're the slot A kinds, apparently the socket models are back in style
too, and legend has it they're better (faster?), so you might consider
an Athlon Thunderbird and a socket version of the above mobos.

>i already have all peripherals etc so i only need a board that is linux
>compt/happy.

the only time i've had trouble with my abit ka7-100 mobo is when i
installed a windows 95 partiton to run under wine... it erased the bios.
linux has run smoothly on the machine all the time, hasn't crashed yet
;)

--
     "This is not an attack! It is a pre-emptive retaliation."
(o_ '