> Telstra's techs monitored the router when I was connected but unable to
> communicate and they said the retry counter was running wild.  Which
> suggests a line problem or modem problem. But why would a new modem and
> a different phone line behave the same??

Get the techs (Telstra) to do a voltage drop test on your line - I
had a similar problem until a week ago, after loosing both phone
lines in a lightening strike. Turns out that there was a voltage
drop on the line apparently every 10 minutes which, while minor,
was enough to kill the connection.

Jon