Craige McWhirter wrote:

> The O'Rielly book "Running Linux" seems to win the readers choice awards
> each year. I haven't read it (we have a copy here at work though) so I
> can't "recommend" it but it appears to be a good start.

I'll throw in my 2c + 10% here: "Running Linux" is great for a running
start at the O/S. It covers almost every major topic. From the TOC:

introduction to L
installation
unix commands
sys mgmt
file systems
kernels
admin tastks
editors/tools/graphics/printingX-Window
Windows/Samba
programming + tools
TCP/IP + PPP
web/email
sources
L on alpha/powerpc/motorola/sparc
lilo
and zmodem

(phew) and at apporx 720 pp (1999 edition) it ain't a lightweight.

The book is great for an overview of anything Linux
and provides references for further research and other
resources.

--
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services Pty Limited
"Tired of being a crash test dummy for Microsoft? Try Linux"