David wrote:

> I wasn't going to get onto this thread, cos I'm a Mac person struggling
> with Linux and getting by, not an IT professional.

> LINUX IS NOT EASY.

I found Linux a lot easier to install and although I agree that
the OS is not easy to install and configure (unless you use SuSE
;-) it is no harder than the other common ones.

> The trouble with this list is that nearly everyone is an IT pro, and has
> no idea what it's like to struggle with config files and arcane syntax.

Actually there are a large number of SLUG members who are NOT IT
professionals. Myself for one. I have used Macs and found them
difficult at first. Installing an operating system on a blank HDD
was not intuitive and the configuration of the system to optimise
performance and memory usage was only possible after a lot of
reading.

> When running apps on a linux desktop distrib. (that has yet to be
> invented) is as brain-dead as installing on a mac, then apps will follow
> like day follows night. Until then, Linux is a fabulous server OS and a
> marginal desktop for the boffins.

Once Linux and X are configured anyone can use the desktop. I use
SuSE Linux and enlightenment with the Ganimede theme at work and I
set up user accounts for my students. They use it to practice
their writing and web page design skills as well as to surf the
net (the machine is permanently online) and perform other tasks.
They love it, and prefer it to the windoze machines. I also use it
to store the whole school's reports and collate and analyse the
information on them. I find the win98 interface awkward and
flakey. I cannot speak too highly of the X/enlightenment desktop.

Stay well and happy
Heracles

PS. Debian Gurus, I have Debian 2.2 on my home system - Is there a
tool like YAST or even printtool in Potato to set up my bj300
printer or must I edit the filter in VI?