On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 07:36:59PM +1100, Jason Rennie wrote:

> Ok the output you requested is attached. Would it be simpler to reinstall
> at this point ? The system isn't really configured yet, so i wouldn't
> loose much work.

Reinstalling is up to you. The problem you are having is trivially fixed.

> Also i recompiled the kernel so modconf doens't work. How should i
> recompile the kernel to make modconf work ??
>
> Jason

> Script started on Wed Nov 29 18:53:41 2000
> stampy:~# dpkg -C
> The following packages have been unpacked but not yet configured.
> They must be configured using dpkg --configure or the configure
> menu option in dselect for them to work:
>  libpopt0             lib for parsing cmdline parameters
>  tk8.2-dev            The Tk toolkit for TCL and X11 v8.2 - Development Files.
>
> The following packages are only half configured, probably due to problems
> configuring them the first time.  The configuration should be retried using
> dpkg --configure <package> or the configure menu option in dselect:
>  tcl8.2-dev           The Tool Command Language (TCL) v8.2 - Development Files.

Can we have the output of the suggested command?

$ dpkg --configure tcl8.2-dev

> stampy:~# apt-get install

Reading Package Lists... 0%

Reading Package Lists... 100%

Reading Package Lists... Done

Building Dependency Tree... 0%

Building Dependency Tree... 0%

Building Dependency Tree... 50%

Building Dependency Tree... 50%

Building Dependency Tree... Done
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   gnome-help: Depends: gnome-core (>= 1.2.4-helix1) but 1.2.4-2 is installed
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

Ah, so it isn't a "pure" system but one with helix stuff. Helix have not
(in the past) understood how to correctly package things for Debian with
regards to version numbers. I'm not sure if this is fixed yet.

[snip - gnome-core problem]

The gnome-core problem is being caused by an error in the helix packages.

Comment our the helix source lines and try with a `pure' Debian install
once - you've configured what you need, try Helix gnome again.

Although all the Helix gnome stuff (except their copyrighted logos has,
to my knowledge, been incorporated in the woody gnome version).

Oh, and since you tryig out woody, give konquere a go -- it isn't too
bad from what I recall.

Regards,
Anand

--
Linux.Conf.Au                   --              http://linux.conf.au/
17th - 20th January,            --              Alan Cox, David Miller,