I'm currently preparing a 1 semester programming course for
beginners. (on Linux) And I'm in a quandary as to what
to teach.

The previous two semesters I've taught 9 weeks of C followed by
a 9 week mish mash of Perl, PerlTk, Fortran, C++, Python, whatever.
see:
        http://slug.org.au/tafe2000.shtml

Next semester I'm thinking of teaching 9 weeks of C++ and 9 weeks of
Python. For a change. I'll be learning as I teach.

Which should I teach first, Python or C++ ?

Neither? what then?

If any one has suggestions as to where th e best place to start
learning to program is I'd be interested in your comments.

geoffrey