<quote who="Terry Collins">

> For discussion - why teach Python?

http://python.org/sigs/edu-sig/

http://python.org/cp4e/

http://www.oreilly.com/frank/rossum_1099.html

http://www2.linuxjournal.com/cgi-bin/frames.pl/articles/conversations/005.html

http://python.org/doc/current/tut/tut.html

Python was built to teach. It's clean and purdy. If you're endeavouring to
teach the concepts behind programming, there's no sense hiding them behind
the line noise and blurry lines of Perl, or the system level machine
language abstraction that is C.

[ Not that line noise, blurry lines and machine language abstraction don't
have their place. They most certainly do. ]

> C or C++ I can understand.

But will students? At least they'll keep coming back every year because they
have no idea how to apply concepts by themselves.

> I guess it all depends on your market and what they want.

s/market/students/ -> markets are what you sell bubbly health drinks,
flourescent blow up furniture and mobile phone ring melodies to.

- Jeff

-- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ------------------------------- http://linux.conf.au/ --

     "They cosset us with trappings to shut us up. That way when we say
        'sharecropper!' you can point to my free suit and say 'Shut
                       up pop star.'" - Courtney Love