Hi All,

I'm hoping a sendmail guru may be able to help me.. - I have to machines colocated at
work - vorlon.rendrag.net (which receives mail for rendrag.net plus a couple of other
domains), and localhost.gumbynet.org (which receives mail for gumbynet.org, and relays
for box3n.gumbynet.org, which is behind a 56k link back to my home).

Everything has been working just sweet for quite a while now.. - Vorlon got a
reinstall about two months ago because of a hardware problem, and after the reinstall
everything was working great.

Then last night, I decided to move all of my users accounts over to localhost (I host
about 15-20 friends' websites/domains/email).  The apache part of things went
perfectly, and I thought the sendmail part went fine as well, but when I woke up this
morning, I had a flood of SMS's from people saying mail was bouncing..  As it turns
out, things are totally screwed up, and I'm at a loss to explain why..

vorlon now only handles rendrag.net email
localhost now handles users.rendrag.net, infosurge.rendrag.net, vhosts.rendrag.net
(these three are all the same IP - the first two CNAMEd to vhosts, which has localhost
as its MX), gumbynet.org, fjear.net, d00dr.net, and saboteur.cx, and relays for
box3n.gumbynet.org
... in theory ...

In practice,  this isn't quite happening right..

vorlon still thinks that {users|infosurge|vhosts}.rendrag.net are local hosts, and
localhost things that box3n.gumbynet.org is a local host

I have totally removed sendmail on both machines and reinstalled (dpkg --purge
--force-depends sendmail && rm -rf /etc/mail && apt-get install sendmail), and yet
they still try to deliver those domains locally, rather than giving a relaying denied
message.

-- test of mail.rendrag.net (vorlon) --
damien:silurian:~% telnet mail.rendrag.net 25
Trying 203.43.149.132...
Connected to mail.cbr.rendrag.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 vorlon.rendrag.net ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.3/Debian 8.9.3-21; Tue, 19 Dec 2000
10:41:50 +1100
helo test
250 vorlon.rendrag.net Hello silurian.isa.net.au [203.32.156.5], pleased to meet you
mail from:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
250 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>... Sender ok
rcpt to:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
550 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>... User unknown
rcpt to:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
550 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>... Relaying denied
quit
221 vorlon.rendrag.net closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.
-- end of test --

So it's trying to deliver mail locally, but it does give the correct relaying denied
error for other hosts - just not the hosts associated with vhosts.rendrag.net (all
CNAME'd to it..)

I'm off on a month's holiday tomorrow (Yeah, I know I *really* shouldn't have made
such large changes before going away, but It's something that's been on my todo list
for a while now, and really needed doing before I went away), so really need to figure
this out today...

Has anyone experienced this problem before? (Both machines are Debian 2.2) Are there
config files anywhere outside of /etc/mail that I might need to be editing/deleting?

Regards,

Damien Gardner Jnr   -  Dip.EE  StudIEAust
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  -  http://www.rendrag.net/
Ph: 0417 055 052     -  Fax: 02 6255 8663
-- Everyone thinks I'm psychotic except my friends deep inside the earth.