<quote who="Dave Kempe">

> when i do i apt-get dist-upgrade it get this:

That looks fine, apart from the X3 stuff being upgraded.

> I want xfree86 4.0.2

X 4.0.2 is in sid, which is the current unstable platform.

> and here is my sources.list:

Good god! :D Let's fix this. :)

> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
> #deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

Okay, what you're doing here is a bit wacky. You're using both unstable and
stable, so for the most part, unstable packages will be used and the stable
packages list downloads will be a waste. On the other hand, there *are*
differences that will cause problems. Plus, you're using non-US *stable*
with unstable everyting else. Change that whole section to this:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

(The security archive doesn't apply to unstable.)

> #xfree 4.0 stuff
> #deb http://samosa.debian.org/~branden/woody/i386 ./
> #deb http://people.debian.org/~branden/woody/i386/ ./
> deb http://people.debian.org/%7Ebranden/ woody/$(ARCH)/

Don't bother, it's all in unstable. Delete this section. The rest of your
file is made up of commented and uncommented source lines for other servers.
Comment these out if you're not using another server!

So yes, your sources.list file comes to a whopping 2 lines.

> does dist-upgrade override installed stuff like xserver?

It does, and you probably have the most recent packages already. I'd
strongly recommend doing a "dplg -l > packages" and running through the file
to remove cruft, like the X3 stuff it looks like you've got on there.

When installing Debian, install the very minimum of packages (if any at
all), and then apt-get what you need. If, with a fresh install, you know
you're going to upgrade to a different platform such as unstable, upgrade
*before* installing anything.

Doing these will just make life slightly easier for you.

- Jeff

-- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ------------------------------- http://linux.conf.au/ --

        Web development with PHP is like injecting pure rust with a
                    high-pressure hose. For pain relief.