On Sun, 31 Dec 2000, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> <quote who="Dave Kempe">
>
> > and here is my sources.list:
>
> Good god! :D Let's fix this. :)
>

> > deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
> > deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
> > deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
> > #deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
>

> Okay, what you're doing here is a bit wacky. You're using both unstable and
> stable, so for the most part, unstable packages will be used and the stable
> packages list downloads will be a waste. On the other hand, there *are*
> differences that will cause problems. Plus, you're using non-US *stable*
> with unstable everyting else. Change that whole section to this:
>

> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

OK, this is not quite ideal either. I notice you had some local sources
in the original file, a very good idea, as you get a better sustained
transfer rate from local sources. However, local sources are not always
complete, so you should also include some overseas sources, but after
the local ones, so the order is right. Also, you don't want to use woody
unless you want testing, unstable is now sid. Lastly, use ftp rather
than http for your transfers. If you want to include a couple of local
mirrors, you could try this:

deb ftp://ftp.wa.au.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.au.debian.org/pub/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

That gives you two local mirrors and the canonical mirror, which gives
you a pretty good chance of finding the deb file you are after. If you
also want to be able to get source, add in something like:

deb-src ftp://ftp.wa.au.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

cheers,

Martin