...and then Rev Simon Rumble said:
> My first thought was to run the new 2.4.0 kernel, but then ppp doesn't
> work on my Debian system.  Is there somewhere I can set it to be
> backwards compatible in the same way the you can with NAT (make it
> ipchains or ipfwadm compatible).

Upgrade to the newest version of pppd.  Then add a /dev/ppp device, and if
building as modules, add entries to /etc/modules.conf.  It's all explained
in Documentation/Changes.

> In case it's relevent, I'm using the Debian kernel source packages.
I'm not sure which tree the right version of pppd will be in.  IIRC, a
version compiled on a 2.2 system won't work properly on 2.4 (because of the
massive overhaul to PPP in 2.4).  You may have to compile pppd from source
too.

- Peter
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-- http://members.optushome.com.au/peterhardy
On Thursday a small war broke out between those who worshipped the
Mother Goddess in her aspect of the moon and those who worshipped her
in her aspect of a huge fat woman with enormous buttocks.
                -- (Terry Pratchett, Pyramids)