Hi, all. Here are some brief notes to add to the archives which
describe what I did to get Telstra ADSL working with Linux 2.4.0:

- the EtherNet interface must be up, otherwise pppd cannot send
  EtherNet packets (yeah, this does look a bit quirky, but does make
  some sense). So do: ifconfig eth0 up

- configure CHAP, not PAP. So put your username@bpa and password into
  /etc/ppp/chap-secrets

- run: pppd eth0

- check your logs (/var/log/messages for me) and see if you got a
  connection. If not, kill the pppd process if it's still alive, and
  start it again. Seems like Telstra likes to give a busy signal even
  for ADSL :-)

- if connection still fails, ring up BigPond support. The guy
  admitted to me that they were having SMS (?) server problems. Don't
  let them get away with stealing your lifeline ;-)

- if the box connected to the ADSL is a router for a private network
  (i.e. masquerading), then download a recent version of iptables (I
  used 1.2) and patch the kernel using: make patch-o-matic
  and select the TCP MSS patch. This is required to work around
  moronic sysadmins in Telstra who configure routers to block ICMP
  packets. This leads to stalled connections when downloading.
  Thanks to these admins who are certified "experts" (i.e. they've
  figured out where the "on" switch is), I can't even ping the remote
  end of my PPPoE link (that made me think it wasn't working when it
  was)

- if you want to use a WWW proxy, specify melbourne.cache.telstra.net
  on port 80 (not 8080!). You can use sydney.cache.telstra.net
  instead, but it will be slower, since everything is being routed to
  Melbourne (Sydneysiders: revolt!:-).

Apart from that, it's great. Well, it's passable. It's a lot better
than 56 kb/s (40 kb/s in reality). It doesn't compare to 7 Mb/s which
I get in Calgary, though :-(

I do note that the box that the Alcatel ADSL modem came in claims
support for up to 8 Mb/s. So blame Telstra for not providing a
world-class service. Maybe once the expanded trial period is over
they'll get serious. And pigs will fly.

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....
Permanent: [EMAIL PROTECTED]