On Saturday 13 January 2001 20:06, George Vieira wrote:
> My problem is that users are on DHCP and sometimes I get personA appearing
> in a telnet session as personB in the logs and plays up.
> The other thing also is that if a client comes along and adds his/her
> machien to the network, they will have no problems with telnet or whatever
> that's trying to resolve their name..

This is the ago old problem of name resolution and DHCP.
Things like dynamic DNS solve this, however support for this is only really
present in Win2k native and ill bet its very broken at that.
Is there a dynamic DNS client/server setup for linux?

BTW george, the way around the DNS issue is to use static mapping for the
DHCP allocation. So you use the MAC addr to assign an IP. Might get a bit
annoying to use. Perhaps static IPs for those people that you need to tell
apart. DHCP is good for pools of nodes that you don't need to tell apart. :/

Hope that helps,

Dave