Hi all,

What happens when a PC CPU overheats?
(it's a Cyrix/IBM P200)
I'm talking about what effects do you see on the PC?

My main gateway machine refused to boot on Saturday.
No video and although the lights came on on the disks
etc there was no normal startup noises (eg. that ticking
as it checks the memory etc).  I wondered if I had
overloaded the power supply (as I've recently added
another disk, so it's got 3 IDE disks and 1 IDE CDROM)
but unplugging things didn't help.

I didn't have time for any further mucking around so there
it sat until Sun night when I turned it on again.
No video, but turning it on/off and the monitor on/off
seemed to get it going.  It started up, but when it listed
all the disks, the last one had junk chars for the name
and the size was wrong (4Gb instead of 2.5Gb).

The only hint I've got is that when I took the lid off,
the CPU fan was hardly spinning at all, and laying the
case on it's side stopped the fan altogether.  I don't
know how long it's been like that.  This machine is
usually left on all the time.

Another possible hint is last week (thurs/fri) it had a
kernel panic (null pointer ref and a pile of other stuff
that meant nothing to me).  It was locked solid and
required a stab of the reset button to bring it back.
The disks seemed ok after that.

So any ideas/suggestions what could be wrong with it will
be gratefully received...
please Cc any replies to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks,
Dave.