Hi all,

ok well for people who like to know how things turned
out...

I picked up (another) new cpu fan, and some goo
that joins the heatsink to cpu, yesterday and put it
all together and cleaned all the dust and crap out of
the PC and fired it up.  The video seemed to work ok
but the bios was still reporting junk for the hdd disk.
And trying to access hdc was giving all sorts of ext2
fs errors, and the directory sizes and settings all
wrong etc etc.

Anway, I thought about what I was doing at the time
some more and checked everything closely and noticed
hdc had a jumper set across two pins that I intended
to mean to set it to master but the two pins I picked
weren't listed as valid (master/slave/cable etc).
(It's a Fujitsu disk and I'm so used to Seagate ones
I just whacked it on as you do for Seagate - and of
course they're different!)

So I fixed that and suddenly hdd was ok in the bios
and hdc worked ok again (the two pins I picked must have
been the undocumented "f&#k up the IDE bus" setting) .

So now it's working again.  I'm still slightly suspicious
of it though (it was on all through that hot weather
just recently with a dead or dying cpu fan) so I am
keeping an eye out for any more weird behaviour
(and I did a backup of the system which I hadn't done
since I installed it all a few weeks ago).

Dave.