<quote who="Jon Biddell">

> >1) Strong policy
> 1a - A bitch to install, if your goal is to get a productive system up
> quickly (vs VERY bloody clowly with NT)

What does strong policy have to do with the installation? Installing Debian
is a little more technically oriented than the rest (ie. it's not pretty,
and it doesn't skimp on the details), but it's the same old stuff.

I routinely get potato machines up and running in 30 minutes. Configged for
the network, and with all the sillier Gnome options changed. The *only*
thing that gets in my way is X3. Such a frustration coming back from X4. :)

> >2) Debian is a live distribution
>
> 2a - Which can be dangerous - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That's precisely why stable exists. If there's any project that pulls "ain't
broke, don't fix" to the extreme, it's Debian.

Some machines *need* to be static, whilst others *need* to be dynamic -
Debian does both in a straightforward way. Choose your poison.

> >3) Receptive developers
>
> 3a - No more receptive than SuSE, Deadrat, etc.  The centralised
> bug-tracking is a big plus.

Here's a different spin: Debian developers are so receptive, that you too
can become an official maintainer! :)

Bug reporting with Debian is good. It's really satisfying when you get an
email back after reporting a bug - a fix, a new package release date, a
thank you, and a bit of self-deprecation thrown in ("I can't believe I did
that!" etc).

> >4) Debian has more packages
>
> 4a - Hmmmmm.... I'll let this slide.

I think SuSE has more.

> >5) Debian helps you pull chicks

Must going to the wrong installfests.

- Jeff

-- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ------------------------------- http://linux.conf.au/ --

                    The Unix Way: Everything is a file.
                 The Linux Way: Everything is a filesystem.