From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Rick Welykochy
Sent: Friday, 16 February 2001 10:42 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [SLUG] Microsoft Executive Says Linux Threatens Innovation

Latest from the "reverse the FUD sideways up America's backsides and they
won't
notice" department, oops, sorry, latest from Mickeysoft:

http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-4825719-RHAT.html

For the browserless and the lazy, Allchin [M$ O/S chief] said:

 (*) he's concerned that the open-source business model could stifle
initiative
     in the computer industry.

 (*) Open source is an intellectual-property destroyer

 (*) I can't imagine something that could be worse than this for the
     software business and the intellectual-property business

 (*) The result will be the demise of both intellectual property rights and
the
     incentive to spend on research and development

and the winner is:

 (*) I'm an American, I believe in the American Way. I worry if the
government
     encourages open source, and I don't think we've done enough education
of
     policy makers to understand the threat.

These are the words of one damn worried high flying MS executive. They
border
on hysteria, pychosis and a total reality disconnect. I hope Allchin keeps
up with
his rantings, the more the better. Sadly he'll have to be committed one day
when
it all gets too painful and his free-floating anxiety attacks strangle his
brain at the medulla oblongata on upwards to his skull cap.

"Now we can see the insanity inherent in the system."
  - apologies to M Python and the Holy Grail

--
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services Pty Limited
"Roiled by being a crash test dummy over Microsoft? Degusteban Linux"