John, one to play with now and keep an eye on for when it's really ready
is Evolution. I've been using it the last couple of days and it's quite
nice, looks just like Outlook 97 which will probably suite your master
plan. I don't think it's quite ready for the chief yet (it crashed the
last 4 times I tried to reply to this email - worked this time).
Threading is good, subfolders are good, works under KDE2, well, in spite
of ;) (it's a GNOME app).

Still, the most, *cough*, stable, *cough*, GUI threaded email reader
I've used under Linux is Netscape/Mozilla. Hopefully Evolution will soon
surpass that (I need it for work ppl!).

Check it out anyway, it's an apt-get away or at the Ximian (formerly
Helix-Code) site somewhere.

http://www.helixcode.com/

--

Cheers,