This one time, at band camp, Andrew Reilly said:
>Galeon and Konquerer seem to be shaping up to be that.  Haven't
>used Konq myself, but do keep an eye on Galeon.

I've been using galeon, I like it, but the dependency on (at least in
debian) having mozilla installed is a pain (in my fantasy utopia, i only
have one browser on my machine)

>Really, I doubt that it's the mailer/newsreader stuff that makes
>Mozilla slow.  It's that the entire UI (buttons, frames, panes
>and all) is implemented in DHTML, aka JavaScript...  Galeon
>replaces that crap with compiled GTK, and it's reasonably
>snappy.

Yeah, i'm well aware that it's not the extra bits making it slow, but it
makes it *big*.  Reimplementing the UI was a bad choice, imho.  mozilla
on my system has a footprint of 25% system RAM, and it's clunky.

Preaching to the converted, i know... I'm just going to go write my own
browser, it's the only way to get anything you want these days ;)

--
jamesw