--
Howard.
LANNet Computing Associates <http://lannetlinux.com>
"...well, it worked before _you_ touched it!"   --me
"I trust just one person,
 and there are times when I don't even trust myself"
                                                --me

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Crossfire wrote:

> Howard Lowndes was once rumoured to have said:
> > On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, chesty wrote:
> >
> >> We had our linux firewalls audited and I wanted to get some opinions on some
> >> of the issues raised.
> >>
> >> We were advised to turn sshd PasswordAuthentication off because it allows
> >> clear text passwords.
> >> hey? That doesn't sound right.
> >
> > Sounds like good cause to not pay the auditors as they seem not to know
> > what they talk about.
>
> I concurr with Howard - but their suggestion is legitimate - but for a
> different reason.  PasswordAuthentication means you're relying upon
> users to pick sensible passwords.  Its actually best to make sure
> nobody but your administrators have access to your firewall systems

Good point, but this is a firewall we are talking about so the root
account is likely to be under similar control as the ssh user, and
hopefully, we are talking a clueful sysadmin here.  Hope springs eternal.

> >> What do people use for analysing firewall log files?
> >> Theres 84 projects under that category on freshmeat.
>
> grep and less.

or grep and mail, ably aided and abetted by cron.