On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 03:52:42PM +1100, Martin wrote:
> 2 ethernet cards, both Netgear FA310tx
>
> both detected fine.
>
> question is, is there any way to tell which physical card is eth0 and
> which is eth1 ?

        I just usually plug some ethernet in and bring one device up and
swap the ethernet cable to work out which one it is. Then label it :)

> and, will they always be detected in the same order ? (ie. so that eth0
> will always refer to the same physical card)

        As long as you don't move where the cards are in the pci slots
then yes. I think there might be some sort of rule like the card closest
the cpu is eth0 or something but I'm not sure. If so this is only the
case if the cards are of the same type. If they're different types and
they;re compiled into the kernel then the interface is chosen by the
order they get detected which is which ever order it is in the .c file.
This wil always remain the same no matter what slot the cards are in. If
you use modules it depends on how you pout in the aliases eg alias tulip
eth0 will determin which is which.

> thanks
> marty
>
> --