Peter,
Maybe you had best talk to rasterman or mandrake
then. possibly some E groupy so as not to bug them.

I believe Xinerama makes the two heads appears as one
with an od res. Which the window manager shouldnt have
problems with as one can easily define any crazy res
you want in XF86Config, most people just use boring
640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 etc... (cat flames > /dev/null)
My sparcclassic uses some crazy and cant be changed.

Xinerama may be your best bet.

Removal and rebuilding of config files occasionally
fixes things in my experience (backup first)

Dean