Dear Sluggers,

Having reviewed the correspondence exchanges over the last couple
days I feel there is a need to get focus back

This exercise is not about what is best.... but ensuring that
individuals can use what they believe is best
without imposition from Government ....

THIS IS ABOUT USING OPEN STANDARDS for electronic exchange
.... not just Linux though I do accept that open
     interchange will greatly help in linux acceptance.

The campaign is building up as the tax office have dug in
the focus is now on the Federal government  and Media,
yesterday Snr Alston was handed a formal letter.
Other members of the Government and opposition parties are being
targeted WE will make it a political issue
This is an election year ....thank god.

To date we have had 2 articles printed the latest being last Mondays
Australian financial review.
Other media outlets look like taking up the issue!

For those who have not committed to the  Petition/Register/Charter,
I attach the latest copy

Remember you can sign online at
 http://www.muli.com.au/ato/atoindex.html

Drop into the SLUG stand at Linux business expo
or Fax or post to ourselves to cordite.
We assure you the data will be treated as confidential.

Contacting your local federal member as well would be appreciated.

The continuing saga of the
"OPEN ELECTRONIC GOVERNMENT" with Business and the people.
can be found in detail at
       http://www.muli.com.au/ato/atoindex.html

 Petition/Register/Charter

Item A;

We the undersigned strongly object to the Australian Tax Office's
failure to deliver on their written undertakings to provide a
Linux/UNIX ECI interface and call on the Government to instruct
the Australian Tax Office to provide a open solution.

Item B;

We also request the Government to LEGISLATE
that all departments implement:

"OPEN ELECTRONIC GOVERNMENT" with Business and the people.

That requires;

1.      All Government data and/or software provided
        via electronic format is able to be used from
        common operating systems and utilities, i.e.:

·       - Microsoft Windows/NT
·       - Unix/Linux
·       - Macintosh
·       - Other ?

2.   Interactive network solutions to use open standards
     such as XML, SSL, HTML, HTTP

3.   Downloaded documentation  to use open standards
     such as ASCII, HTML,XML, RTF, PDF ...
     Note: MS Word & Wordperfect are not open standards

4.   That software solutions will utilise open standards,
     WITHOUT proprietary extensions.

5.   The interface specification is an open publication.

6.   Where special readers, viewers or interactive solutions
     are required,
     - they will be made available to end-users
       at no cost premium between operating systems.

7.   That the total data transferred via the utility should be
     made known to the end user.

    Company Name     ACN       Contact
                              ( Email or real Name & address)

     Ronald B. SKEOCH.
   Managing Director,  Muli Management Pty Ltd.  ABN 90 002 268 126
   Project Risk, Financial Accounts & Process Management software.
   Turn Key Linux Solutions, Development, Installation & Training.
   Phone; 612 9487 3241, Fax; 612 9487 3583, Email; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   124  Fox Valley Road,  Wahroonga, NSW, 2076,  Sydney,  AUSTRALIA.