On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Andrew Reilly wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 10:02:47AM +1100, enterfornone wrote:
> > Even if there was a Linux WP that was better than Word, the fact still
> > remains that if your job involves using a word processor, chances are you
> > will need to know Word.
>
> snip >  Word .doc files
> just aren't portable enough (even between different versions of
> Windows and Word) for their purposes.  The PDF files will always
> look the same, and the recipient doesn't have to have exactly
> the same setup as them.

Hmm.. . the wonderfully portable Word: Macintosh word 6 files are not
readable by Windows Word 6, although WinW6 is readable by Mac97. Word 4 is
not readable by anything at all, I believe (UPGRADE! PAY!). I can't
remember the other combinations that don't work, although I know there are
some.

StarOffice reads all the word formats, both Mac and Win. But then again,
you don't have to pay for that, so it can't be any good.

Personally, I use Nisus Writer for my wordprocessing, but I don't imagine
anyone cares, and why should they? For the record, Nisus reads and writes
Word formats that all versions of Word will read ;-) Nisus Writer is also
cost free.

I figure that if you can't work out a wordprocessor in ten minutes, what
are you doing being PAID to sit in front of a computer anyway?