On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 07:27:33AM +1100, Martin wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, enterfornone wrote:

> > > Troll child :-(
> >
> > I think some of you zealots need to get out of this dreamworld.  Linux is
> > not yet a significant player on the desktop.  Most people do need Work skills
> > to be employable.
> >
> > Besides, countering every anti-linux arguement with "troll" is very childish,
> > I think Godwin's law needs to be updated to include troll along with nazi.
>
> I'm one of the zealots, and I like my dreamworld. After uni, I got every
> job I applied for, and took an offer of 65K, which I'm guessing is well
> above average. In no interview did any employer ask if I knew Word, and
> a couple of the employers I spoke to were quite impressed by the breadth
> of my experience with Linux. Linux is a "Work" skill, and I'd be quite
> interested to hear you explain why it is not. In fact, comparing jobs
> where the employer is mainly interested in Word skills with jobs where
> the employer is mainly interested in Linux skills could lead one to the
> conclusion that spending time learning Word instead of Linux is a good
> way to end up with a duller, lower paid job.

My, that *is* impressive. When did you look for a job? I was looking
for jobs from a Unix/Linux/C/Perl/Java low level/systems programming
perspective background in January/February, and was practically laughed
at when I suggested a lowly salary of $40k. Still, the wrong end of that
is better than nothing.

<SNIP>

>From a DocBook perspective, in theory it's a great idea, avoiding the
path of mingling presentation with content. And really, DocBook's DTD
structure is quite simple (yep, it's envisioned that DocBook will
move over to XML even though its SGML version is concurrently
supported)

Guess what? Its an absolute bitch to set up from the basics. If you
have a recent distribution, then don't worry about installation, yet
you are still left clueless about its inner workings. How do you
embed images into your PS or PDF files? How do you use stylesheets
from, say, the LDP or the FreeBSD doc project ? What's the difference
between print and html documentation ? Automatic indexing ?? How does
one do that ?!

What happens when, say, your resulting document ends up looking
like utter crap? What went wrong? Do you understand how the
convoluted tool chain works ? For PDF, How are you converting it?
Directly to it using an XML transformation engine, via TeX to DVI
to PDF (thrice, it takes three iterations to generate proper
versions, it just does ...) using pdfjadetex? Your index is malformed,
why is that ?

Riddle me that, oh Martin who's worth $65k fresh out of university

Or, you can just use something more comfortable, like Abiword or
OpenOffice for your important extensive company documentation projects.
Or not.

> If someone told me they wanted to herd all <insert hated racial or
> social group here> into concentration camps, I would label them as a
> nazi. Likewise, when I see someone actually in the act of trolling, I
> don't have any problem identifying them as a troll. This guy is a troll.

I like DB. I just wish it were a little easier.

Paul.