> > Mar  7 15:45:02 diddums ifup: SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
>
> I had this problem just after I built my first 2.2.x kernel a couple of
> years ago.  It's caused by the network card driver module not being
> loaded before trying to bring up the network.  Rebuild your kernel with
> kmod (kernel module loader) enabled.

        I've upgraded my kernel to 2.2.17-14, but at the time (and even now) the
kernel-sources and kernel-headers packages aren't available for it for i586
(and I can't find kernel-headers.2.2.17-14.*.rpm at all).  Should I get the
i386 version of kernel-sources, previous kernel version (which I have on my
redhat 7 CD), or try something else altogether?