On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Robert Reid wrote:

> I'm am considering putting ReiserFS onto my debian system when I put a
> 2.4.x kernel on.  Can ResierFS be currently be used as a root partition
> or not?

Root is fine. Just have it compiled into your kernel.

The only problems I've had is with boot loaders. Support for ReiserFS in LILO
and GRUB are a little experimental at the moment, as far as I know. Just make a
small ~10M ext2 filesystem at the start of your disk for /boot. It makes things
simpler for other reasons as well.

> I've also heard that there were some issues with exporting
> ResierFS paritions via NFS - is this still a problem? (I shouldn't need
> to generally, but might be useful occasionly, i.e. backups).

As far as I know, it's still a problem but is being worked on. Check Kernel
Traffic (http://kt.zork.net/ ? ) for summaries of weekly traffic on the
linux-kernel mailing list.

--
Ian Tester   *8)#          \7\    LINUX: because geeks will find a way